Conducting a Simple Trademark Name Search
- Private Individuals
- Sole Proprietorships
- General Partnerships
- Limited Liability Companies
- Limited Liability Partnerships
Searching for a Trademark
1. Go to the United States Patent and Trademark Office website here.
2. Beneath the “Trademark” drop-down menu tab at the top, click “Searching Trademarks.”
3. On the next page, click “Search Trademark Database.”
4. Click “Basic Word Search,” and then click on the blue “Free Form” button towards the bottom of the page.
5. After carefully reviewing the USPTO’s instructions, check your mark’s availability using the search box.
6. Evaluate the strength of your mark by cross-referencing your results with the criteria below.
Live Trademarks and Dead Trademarks
Taken or Similar Names
Goods and/or Services